There are two situations to consider when identifying a lead-based paint hazard. First, is the lead-based paint within reach of small children? Lead-based paint chips can taste sweet and there have been cases where children have been found chewing on lead-based paint chips. Second, If the lead-based paint is deteriorating. Deteriorating lead-based paint can produce lead dust that is then introduced into your indoor air. It is considered a dangerous practice to do normal paint preparation with regard to lead-based painted surfaces.
Lead-Based Paint FAQ
The foundation of the LeadLock™ System is a primer coat known as PrepLESS Primer™ . This coating can be used in instead of traditional paint preparation. When PrepLESS Primer™ dries it remains tacky, allowing you to apply a thin coat over lead-based paint that is peeling and flaking off the wall and then actually stick the paint chips back on to the wall. This will, when treated with further coats of PrepLESS Primer™, allow for the proper adhesion of LeadLock™ TopCoat without producing lead dust or creating lead waste.
There is a process known as lead leachate where salts containing lead in the original lead-based paint migrate into latex or oil-based paint that has been applied over lead-based paint. The result is that you have normal paint that has been contaminated with lead and needs to be treated like lead-based paint for preparation purposes when a new coat of paint is to be applied. The LeadLock™ System will prevent lead leachate from occurring.
You can't tell by looking at it. Typically, any building constructed before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. The only way to know for sure is to have the paint tested by a professional using either a lead access test or an XRF gun (X-ray Fluorescence). If you are questioning whether your building contains lead-based paint our recommendation is to have the surfaces in question tested.
For brush and roller application protective clothing and gloves are all that is necessary and this is purely from a hygienic standpoint. No masks or mechanical ventilation is necessary do to the fact that our products contain no Volatile Organic Content (VOC's). For spray application the over-spray mist in the room is considered a nuisance particulate and we recommend the use of a MSHA/NIOSH approved dust respirator along with impervious gloves, safety eyewear including side shields and protective clothing. Refer to the EPA for proper protective equipment and site preparation instructions with regard to your particular hazardous material concern.
No, our toxicological report states that the products are so safe that you can apply them with pregnant women and children under the age of six in the room. Our studies also show that lead-based paint is not disturbed during the application of the LeadLock™ System.
The LeadLock™ system will secure barium-based paint. It can also be used over mercury.
Applying the LeadLock™ system is considered a standard painting practice and an approved contractor is not necessary. However, you can get in touch with our customer service office at (800) 266-3982 and see whether there is an approved contractor in your area.
The EPA does not approve any products - they approve the method of in-place management through enclosure, encapsulation and encasement of Lead Based Paint. However, our coatings are tested and approved over Lead Based Paint. They have passed ASTM E-1795-97 which is the Standard for Liquid Coating Encapsulation Products for Leaded Paint in Buildings. GEI’s products are approved for use in all 50 US States, Territories and worldwide through our US GSA Contractor #GS06F-0010J.
Good common sense and awareness that dry sanding etc. of LBP is not acceptable, and regular paint is not a lead encapsulant. Always refer to local laws pertaining to LBP Standard EPA lead abatement rules and regulations are here: http://www2.epa.gov/lead/renovation-repair-and-painting-program Good painting practices should be used and being careful not to generate unwanted hazardous waste.